Start a new topic
Answered

Virtual Folder Inheritance

• I want all users to have the "CompanyFiles" folder - this is a remote folder of the S3 type.
  • I want members of the Dev group to have the "DevFiles"folder - which is an SMB share
  • I want members of of the DevOPS group to  have the "IT" folder

Here is my group structure (Bold = Group and others are user account)

Company

Company

-----Dev

-------Dev

-------User1

------ User2

-----DevOPS

------DevOPS

------User3

------User4

Under this configuration All Users are members of the Company group, User1 and User2 are members of both the Company and the Dev groups. User3 and User4 are members of both Company and DevOPS.  As recommended in another forum post I have set the VFS Linking in the Company USER to be linked to itself and have done the same for the DevOPS user and the Dev user.

For the company user I have added a Virtual folder to the "CompanyFiles". All users seem to be getting  that. 

Problem: I have added the IT folder to the DevOPS user and the DevFolders to the Dev user.  But those do not show up for the users.  In addition I tested adding another folder to the Company User and it does not show up for the users either.  What am I doing wrong?

Best Answer

Look at the VFS linking for one of your users.  You will see they re inheriting one of your configurations.

You need a group for "Company_DevOPS" and for "Company_Dev" and for "Company" and for "DevOPS" and for "Dev".  You asking the user to whichever applies...  Group assignments don't cause merging of the VFS linking.

Or you need to just simply use the VFS linking to assign the group the user should get a VFS for since it seems that its all that really matters in your groups anyway here.

Thanks,

Ben

1 Comment

Answer

Look at the VFS linking for one of your users.  You will see they re inheriting one of your configurations.

You need a group for "Company_DevOPS" and for "Company_Dev" and for "Company" and for "DevOPS" and for "Dev".  You asking the user to whichever applies...  Group assignments don't cause merging of the VFS linking.

Or you need to just simply use the VFS linking to assign the group the user should get a VFS for since it seems that its all that really matters in your groups anyway here.

Thanks,

Ben

Login to post a comment