Start a new topic

Monitor CrushFTP is Running

kylemss @ Fri Apr 11 15:33:03 EEST 2014
This may seem like a silly question, but we have a client that uses CrushFTP as a mission critical application. Does anyone know of a way to monitor whether or not the server or service is running for CrushFTP?

Alternately, is there any way to have Crush create logs in windows event logs when it starts/stops?

I have considered using a site checking service on the web to see if it can access the web interface, but that would require opening the web interface port in the firewall which we are not keen on doing for obvious security reasons.

Any thoughts?

spinkb @ Fri Apr 11 16:25:15 EEST 2014
You need to step back and think about this a little differently.

If someone pulls the power to the box running CrushFTP...who will know? The customer who complains the server is down? Or the automated site check that notifies you the server isn't reachable.

Or the more likely scenario, the ISP is would you know? Anyone inside the network can access the server. Only an external check would reveal this.

So the only valid check for connectivity to the server is to test like a customer would...externally. Test to the same style port the customer would use. SFTP, FTP, HTTP, HTTPS, whatever.

Having an event in the log is meaningless. Windows services already log when they are stopped, started, fail, etc. So you have that as a reference.

kylemss @ Mon Apr 14 12:10:13 EEST 2014
If someone pulls the power on that machine, we would be notified immediately. We use remote management software on the machine, if it does not check in on time, it gets reported.

If the ISP were down, all the machines on that domain would appear offline as well. I agree with your statement the only surefire way to test if it's running is attempting to connect, via the protocol all the other clients would connect as you stated.

The reason I asked about event logging is because it is a simple process for us to monitor for event log changes and setup email alerts if we know what to look for. I understand without knowing this information, why it would appear to be rather meaningless. But that is why I am asking the question.

I am looking for a method that I can automate to be proactive about making sure crush is still running.
spinkb @ Mon Apr 14 14:16:21 EEST 2014
In this case, kill the java process that is running, note the log message in the event viewer, it will be the same message if CrushFTP dies, and that is what to look for.

kylemss @ Mon Apr 14 14:20:04 EEST 2014
I actually did create a process monitoring set, for this exact scenario and it created a lot of false positives for whatever reason. If there were an alternate method of checking this that I could automate that would be awesome, but not sure what to try next.
spinkb @ Mon Apr 14 14:40:21 EEST 2014
CrushFTP can't log to the event viewer its only whatever windows logs when the service were to stop that you can track. I can't see why you would get false positives for this...there should only be events in the scenario the process stops, which shouldn't actually ever happen...ever.
Login to post a comment